Joachimsthalsches Gymnasium – European School Templin (EST)
Founded in 1607, the Joachimsthal Gymnasium was one of the leading schools in the German-speaking world until its closure in 1945. It was at the center of the educational reforms under Wilhelm von Humboldt. Since 1912, this school had been located in a spacious ensemble of buildings designed especially for it in Templin. After various uses in the GDR, the buildings had been mostly empty since the early 2000s and began to deteriorate.
This was the condition in which VKF found the site when we held our first workshop there in 2013. After a few days of hard work in and around the facility and a first concert in the still usable auditorium, it was clear to us: this place must not be left to decay! – and so the VKF, together with committed Templiners, founded an initiative to revive the school, which, thanks to generous supporters, has since become the Stiftung Gebäudeensemble Joachimsthalsches Gymnasium. More information here.